History of Lynnville
The first settlement of Lynnville was made at Lynn Creek and Robertson Fork Creek. In December 1809, John Laird settled a half mile north of Old Lynnville (Waco). There he constructed a brick home which is still in use today, a store, and a grist mill. In 1811, he built the first water power cotton gin in northern Giles County.
Lynnville's name is taken from Lynn Creek, which was named for the linden or linn trees which grew along its bank. Old Lynnville (Waco) was mapped off of Lynn Creek circa 1810. It was on the old stagecoach pike which connected Nashville, Tennessee and Decatur, Alabama.
Just before the Civil War, Old Lynnville was a flourishing little town., However, much of the town was burned and destroyed during the Civil War by guerilla warfare. A portion of the 16th Union Army Corps was stationed at Lynnville. Today, rifle pits and elevations for cannons, as well as other reminders of the town's involvement in the conflict, can still be traced. Hood's army, protected by Forrest's cavalry, passed through Lynnville on its retreat south after the Battle of Franklin.
In 1860, the Central-Southern Railroad was completed just one mile east of Old Lynnville was incorporated. Today, Lynnville serves as one of the most historical areas in Giles County with a population of 345. The new Lynnville Railroad Museum, featuring a completely restored depot, adds historic charm to the downtown area. An antique steam locomotive, coach, flat car and caboose complete the area's premier tourist attraction.